Wednesday, February 17, 2010

mustard stains

Last night, Paul and I made a sacrifice of time and inches of our waistbands to eat at Abattoir for date night.  It was tough but those inches needed someone to show them what it's like to be loved.  Some fried chick peas, duck meatballs, pork shoulders and a few maple bacon beignets later... we melted into the hot tub (at my parents'... we were house sitting and it's 40 minutes closer to the big city, y'awwll).  Successful date night to be sure.

You're going to have to excuse the grainy cell phone pics.  Didn't want to fuss with a camera (the hot tub was calling).  I love this dress but it needs to be worn without tights - the "catching" drove me crazy.  Post dinner wrinkles and crazy hair... cozy is what I call it.  ;)




Date night was great.  Good food, good man... and some, err, "good" conversation at the table next to us.  A pregnant lady (7 months... I know this because she said so.  I may have an ankle biter of my own but I am certainly no winner of the game "how many weeks?") and her gal pal were catching up on life as it is, having some red wine (lots of red wine, actually... kinda freaked me out by the time we left) and talking about comfort shoes.  Specifically, something like Uggs.  And the prego kept talking about the boots and how she just had to have them but her husband won't let her wear them around the house and keeps telling her that, "Before you know it, you'll be wearing them in the grocery store with an Auburn sweatshirt with mustard stains on it."  HA!  I am an Auburn girl, if you don't know that, which puts it into perspective.  Paul and I almost died.  Because, you know, I am an Auburn girl and he is most definitely not an Auburn fan.  Of course, this reminded me of one of my favorite book quotes of all time that I think of whenever I imagine someone else or myself (usually myself) "letting go" a little...
"Both the five-year-olds looked at me with bewilderment and a bit of fearful uncertainty. I had a sudden horrifying image of the woman I might become if I'm not careful: Crazy Aunt Liz. The divorcee in the muumuu with the dyed orange hair who doesn't eat dairy but smokes menthols, who's always just coming back from her astrology cruise or breaking up with her aroma-therapist boyfriend, who reads the Tarot cards of kindergarteners and says things like, "Bring Aunty Liz another wine cooler, baby, and I'll let you wear my mood ring..." - Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat Pray Love
Bootleg cell phone pics are the gateway.  Next thing you know, I'll be posting outfit pics of me in the brand new muumuu my cousin Alf snagged for me in Hong Kong. 


Materials and Sources:
  • Dress: F21 (I think... probably.)
  • Brown cropped cardigan: Target
  • Tights: F21
  • Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell (favvvvorites)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah that outfit is adorable! I totally love the green color of the dress and the shoes as well. Very great combo!

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

the dress and shoes are both RAD. and i love them together!

liz said...

I love the color of the cardigan with that dress, and those shoes are so awesome! You are so good at details, the cut-out of the dress, the bows on the shoes... perfect!

Tabitha said...

I love this outfit and that's really funny about the woman sitting next to you. Leave it to the preggers lady. :)

Sidewalk Chic said...

I'm in love with your shoes and dress! What a great date night outfit.

Anonymous said...

very pretty dress and those shoes are great.

Summer Frey said...

Yes! You KNOW I love that quote! Sounds like you and Paul had a great time!

E said...

you look adorable! i love the detailing of the dress neckline, very pretty!

heyfancypants.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I *love* those shoes! Hooray for date night too. :)

Lacey said...

Oh man! I can't get over how cute your date outfit is! Love the shoes, the dress, the tights...everything! I keep trying to get up the gumption to do a style blog (I follow enough of them...he he), but I know it must take so much time and energy! I admire you for juggling a baby, a husband, school, and this!

alltumbledown said...

the dress is so pretty! i am very happy to have stumbled on your blog through someone's link... (can't even remember whose now)love the shoes, too.
Nina-
alltumbledown.blogspot.com

kjlangford said...

this is a great outfit! I love the shoes too!!

Shannon said...

OK. Those shoes are A-mazing. I think I"m in love.

Anonymous said...

Lovely outfit, and the shoes are precious!

I LOVED "Eat, Pray, Love" as well, and yes, I do apply the "Crazy Aunt?" test to many of my outfits before I step out of the house.

Bird on Your Shirt

Theressa Lauw said...

That dress is so pretty! And I love your colour combination of green and purple.

Related Posts with Thumbnails