Sunday, February 7, 2010

DIY and building with black

My wedding post is coming for those of you who are interested and love all things wedding style.  G.'s had a nasty stomach virus and we've been spending the weekend doing lots of cuddling and relaxing... not too much else.  In the meantime, though, I've Valentine-ized my header and I have a few questions for you creative and crafty gals...

1) How do you ladies make quick and easy DIY alterations to your dresses and skirts?  I have a few dresses that are just a little dowdy in length but I don't want to take them to an alterations place and I don't want to completely botch them myself either.  Is there an easy way to hack off some length without it looking like a butchered home job?  (I have a basic sewing machine and some limited sewing skills.)

2) If you had to build an all-black wardrobe for school or work, but could add color and style using just jewelry and accessories, how would you style it?  I'm going to polyvore some options soon, comment some ideas or email me your own polyvores to feature!

See you soon!

2 comments:

Dirty Hair Halo said...

i make a lot of simple alterations to skirts, dresses, pants, etc.

the key is to pay attention to the fabric you're altering. silk and chiffon like pieces are something to bring to the tailor. i've destroyed too many dresses.

But more substantial material like cotton, denim or anything that can be ironed easily to create the hem before sewing it works best as a DIY.

good luck. careful.

www.SeekingDirtyHairHalo.blogspot.com

Viktoria said...

I love turquoise and black together... Like a big turquoise necklace with a wrap dress! I'd also change the black up with different scarves.

Related Posts with Thumbnails