Tuesday, February 9, 2010

building blacks, part 1: coloring with belts and dresses i lust after

A few days ago I asked for your advice on how to accessorize an all-black wardrobe.  I'm still not sure exactly where to go with that idea.  Hence, a series: Building Blacks.

You know... like building blocks... only... blacks... okay, okay, I know you get it, I'm cheesy. I digress. ;) (I should really stop using emoticons in my everyday internet life but I just can't... I grew up in the era of AIM and MSN messenger.  Emoticons are just staple territory.) 

First, I will say... building a black wardrobe is more difficult than I imagined.  I was totally unprepared for that.  (I'm aware that I haven't yet disclosed my reasoning here and maybe it's irking you... it will come in time.  I am obviously the queen of vague right now.  Just nod and go with it.  Indulge me.  Pretty please?)  Really, it doesn't matter anyway because I know you lovely readers are always up for a style challenge.  Here's the vague, nutshell version... over the next few months, I'll be working on building a black wardrobe and I don't want to break the bank.  So... I probably want to focus on some basic foundation pieces like skirts, dresses, cardigans, bermuda shorts, etc... that I can accessorize and play with to create lots of different looks.  'Cause lawd knows all black could get boring fast.

I love dresses for basics and belts for a bit of fun and kazaam!, those are the things I went with first.  Since this is sort of a wishlist/brainstorming post, I went with some things that I'd like to have... not necessarily pieces that are in my current budget.  I will get to that part eventually.  A goal is just something good to have so I can browse with purpose.  Yea!  Purpose!  Then, when I come across something similar that is budget friendly (or stalk the wishlist item like a vulture until it goes on big time sale)... I can scoop it up. 

Without further adieu... my current wishlist dresses for the use in mind (all via Anthropologie):


1. Hold-the-Lines Jumper by Maeve (Probably the most versatile in terms of accessorizing with belts, shoes, scarves, under/over layers, etc...)
2. Starbound Dress by one.september (My favorite: love the beading and it's so versatile for different occasions and settings, I think. It's on sale!  What do you think... V-Day wishlist item?)
3. Peseta Dress by Fei (Another favorite... doesn't need accessories.  It pretty much stands alone.  Also on sale but outta my price range.)


All of these would be good options for my purpose.  They're black and can work with a variety of settings.  Like I said... the jumper is probably the most versatile in terms of accessorizing.  But I'd be a little worried about the length if I were belting... for being paler than Edward Cullen I sure do have some junk in the trunk.  Things could go Daisy Duke real fast if I'm not careful.  And let's not go into price.  I love the style and versatility of the pieces Anthropologie carries but good lord... the prices!  (Liefsdottir's prices... insane in the membrane!)

Anyway... on to accessories... let's pretend that I threw on some sort of dress/top-skirt combo and wanted to color it up with some accessories.  The first thing I'm probably going to reach for if I want to "pull it together" is a belt or some kind of sash to cinch the waist and break up all that black.  (Part of the reason I love the Starbound dress... the break is built in.  Woop.)  A few days ago, before I was going to go through wishlist dresses, I created a polyvore set with eighty billion different belts.  Like so:

I know, the top-skirt combo is awful (going back to the whole harder-than-I-thought thing).  But you can see the goal here.  I pulled each one over as I was going and the look of the outfit changed a lot with each belt.  How fun are the two in the upper left corner of the belt hodegepodge?  Love the navy/teal/lime scheme.  I have a steadily growing collection of belts so this round-up would be a really great option for me.  Not to mention belts are cheap (most of the time) and solitary so you can wear them a thousand different ways.  In other words... the belt wouldn't necessarily be committing to the all-black wardrobe.  It could easily go from work to school to weekend to wedding to vacation to destination wedding... (I just found out today I will be a bridesmaid for a destination wedding/vacay at the end of May... excitement! emotion! VACATION!) 

How would you use dresses and belts in an all-black wardrobe?  Is there something major I'm missing on these two pieces?  Are there other ways that you guys wear belts to jazz up an outfit?  (Wearing them as bracelets and whatnot?)  Any more ideas for building a sophisticated all-black wardrobe on the cheap?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any kind of statement necklace would probably be my favorite pairing---colorful or metallic (e.g. http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?color=072&navAction=jump&id=043192). Or colorful scarves! I don't think I use belts in any unique ways, though. Looking forward to hearing about your project (or whatever it may be!). I think the Peseta dress is my fave.

Diane @ Haute Flashion said...

I am a belt fanatic. I look at them as an important accessory item, yet too often they are overlooked.

I have built up a very extensive, but not expensive, belt collection from Goodwill. They are usually only $2.59 each.

Here is a link to a post that I did about belts. Perhaps it will also help to get you started on a belt wardrobe!

http://www.styleartisan.com/2009/12/waist-management.html

Anonymous said...

shoes? and I think makeup! the good thing about black is that it just makes your face more of the center of attention... so maybe fun lipstick or eyeliner!

Anonymous said...

I'm really trying to get the hang of using belts in my wardrobe, because I was never a belt person before!

But I love the idea of adding one to an LBD. Great idea!

Toria said...

You'd be surprised how far different patterned tights/leggings can go. I have like 4 or 5 pair and though they are all black, the different patters can totally change the dynamic of an outfit. And good news, they are totally popular (read: easy to find) and usually pretty cheap!

For example, I have plain black leggings, lacy black leggings (with like holes and stuff in the design for a bit of skin), regular black tights (totally a difference between the look of tights and leggings-opaqueness), black tights with tears/runs (DIY, stopped with clear nail polish), and black leopard print tights (pattern is subtle, but makes things so FUN!), not to mention my purple and grey colored leggings!

Dea said...

The peseta dress is my favorite, especially because it's from my favorite store!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails