Monday, February 8, 2010

black and grey and tired all over...

Anticipatory Set: It's only Monday but I am totally pooped already.  I didn't plan anything outfit-wise for this morning so I just kinda threw on some basic black and grey.  I actually have very little in the way of a neutral black wardrobe.  I'm trying to build one and I'll talk about that eventually but don't hold your breath... it could be a while.  (Justification: I still haven't published the wedding style post.  Oops.)  I have lots and lots of brown and blue neutrals but not a lot of black.  So, with some remaining gift cards to TJ Maxx and LOFT, I scooped up a couple of black pieces.  The cardigan below was my TJMaxx purchase (I paid less than $1 after the gift card! Awww yea.) and the headband was one of the LOFT goodies (I also got an embellished black tee - I heart gift cards.). 

Objective(s) Addressed: Work





Materials and Sources:
  • Grey short-sleeve sweater: F21 (few years ago)
  • Black drapey/ruffle/pleat cardigan: willi smith via TJMaxx
  • Tie-waist dress pants: Old Navy (years ago)
  • Headband: LOFT (50% off the sale price! with a gift card! joy!)
  • Earrings: Charlotte Russe
  • Shoes: Me Too
Input:
The pants aren't grey... they're a black and white herringbone (is that the right word for the pattern?) so they actually do "match" the grey sweater underneath, I promise.  You can see a teeny bit in one of the detail shots... that's why I included two.  Or maybe just because I love the cardigan so much - the material is thick but doesn't feel bulky and it's warm without overheating and the little detail on the open front is fun.  Work and weekend appropriate and functional.  Very much my kinda cardigan.  :)  Also, I swear I am not eating too many creampuffs... those are just some seriously intense wrinkles from sitting in the car.  Gotta love a commute... bleh.

And how fun is the headband?  It's almost a little much but I love it (I wore my hair down all day until I was in the car... ick factor by the time I get home.)  Most of my headbands echo the same theme but I love them all.  I am a hair accessory kinda gal when I want to feel a little more put together but especially right now with my hair in an awkward stage of growing out.  (LOFT had a lot of great hair accessories if you're looking for one.)

Only went for one "pop" of color... the earrings.  Sweet little coral color.  Nothing loud.  Just wasn't feeling the cheery colors in more than small doses today.

I felt pretty fantastic for most of the day.  On top of crazy tiredness no less.  Success!  

10 comments:

Sidewalk Chic said...

Love this outfit -- those tie pants are so much fun and chic. Loving your sweater and that headband --- you pull off the neutral look beautifully!
I seem to have a lot of white neutrals in my closet, so I can understand your desire to branch out a bit. Aren't gift cards amazing? I totally racked up when I had Macy's and Loft cards a month ago. It feels so indulgent, but it's guilt-free!

- JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

Anonymous said...

Love the details on the cardigan ($1? Gift cards rock!). The headband is so fun. I may head to the mall soon to try and use my F21 giftcard...could use a few (free) $5 necklace pick-me-ups!

Diane @ Haute Flashion said...

I am in love with that black cardigan. I have the exact oppposite problem. Walking into my closet is like walking into a black hole.

You would think that everything would then go together, but it doesn't. Black comes in different shades, too. And they don't always blend!

Anonymous said...

well you still look cute after a hard days work. I always look like a hot mess after teaching! I have the opposite problem and have way too many black clothes, but I have vowed not to buy any new clothes until I loose the weight I want.

Liz said...

That sweater is amazing! I love LOFT! I think that sweater would be fun to belt! By the way, I'm working on some building with black polyvore sets! I'll send you the link this week, for whatever you want to do with them! I love black, and really try not to wear it that much because it's my comfort zone! But playing around with basics is so fun! Okay, sorry for the rant :)
Oh and Monday is OVER! Hurray!

athenista said...

Liz, that's awesome! Can't wait to see them! I keep meaning to do more but I've only done one... time slips away so fast! :)

Toria said...

Black is amazing and I probably have more black in my closet than any person should because you know, "it goes with everything," but let me tell you what ACTUALLY goes with absolutely everything: grey. Grey is my absolute favorite color for clothing (I have so much it's unhealthy-- I'm totally obsessed) because seriously, it looks amazing with every color. Every color! Even brown and especially navy. Black's reign has been overturned!

Viktoria said...

Love that black sweater! The ruffles are a cute touch!

Elaine said...

What?? You don't have any black??? That's like the majority of my closet! lol!! I really do like this. Black and gray is more modern than black and white. I love the pants! They look gray in the pictures which I thoguht was fine too. And I like cream puffs.... :)

clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

you felt fantastic because you looked fantastic! love this look!

Related Posts with Thumbnails