Thursday, January 28, 2010

how would you wear it?

Anticipatory Set: Since one of the goals I set forth for this blog was to shop my closet more often, I plan on sharing some items that are more difficult to style.  I already shared two of these here.  (I've worn the plaid blouse but didn't take a full outfit photo... next time.  The cowl dress is still waiting... probably gonna be a V-Day challenge... or a work wear challenge next week.)  And I have a few that also have a rarely worn status so, if you don't mind, I'm going to ask for your suggestions again. 

Today's challenge for you: a gray v-neck sweater "dress" with bell-ish sleeves by BCBG MaxAzria. I bought this "dress" (you will see that this term is used loosely) early in my pregnancy when the air started to chill and I was sort of in that ambiguous stage of "Is she or isn't she?" showing.  In other words... I needed something to mask the fact that I'd put my six pack in the cooler for the next five months.  This sweater was on big time sale and I loved that it was not maternity so I could wear it post-baby when it was still cold and it would hopefully continue to camoflauge the leftover kanga pouch.  Well... now that I'm definitely not pregnant and haven't been pregnant for over a year, I need some help remixing this one... let's get a visual, shall we?


Cute, right?  Well... it can be.  It was cute when I was prego and I've seen other people wear similar things in very cute-ish ways.  My instinct is to belt it but so far none of my belts have really looked great with it.  I did recently acquire a super cheapie belt that might work but for the sake of a visual for you all, I just wore it with simple black pants and my 'Intyce' boots.  If the pants weren't baggy (yay, lost inches!) and stretched out from the day, this look might work.  I think it might just be a little sloppy since my pants are adding bulk to my legs.  Slouchy, I like.  Sloppy, not so much.  I did at least put some embellishment in the neckline with one of my favorite camis from LOFT and a patterned bow headband for my floppy hair.  Until this morning, I'd briefly forgotten about both of these things but they get some decent rotation in warmer months.  I also let the sweater bunch a little when I wear it with pants and have yet to wear it as a dress but I guess it could be okay with leggings.  Bare legs? Absolutely not.  It comes much shorter on me than on the model in the picture.


(G. is very into the pointing these days.)

(He's also very into The Cute.)






Objective(s) Addressed: Work wear (no meetings)

Materials and Sources:
  • Sweater dress: BCBGMAXAZRIA
  • Black pants: Target (about to say goodbye to them, woop!)
  • Boots: 'Intyce' boot by Steven by Steve Madden
  • Cami: LOFT (on huge clearance over the summer... I wanna say like $5?)
  • Headband: F21
YOUR Input: How would you style this?  Would you risk wearing it like a dress?  What do you think about wearing it like a blouse with a more form fitting skirt (assuming it wouldn't show the sweater if it bunched a little underneath)?

Tomorrow, I'll show you how I styled my Toms.

7 comments:

Tabitha said...

Very very cute! One way I would wear it would be with a white button down shirt (or oxford blue) and belt it. Tied with your leggings it would look awesome.

Also not sure how you feel about your arms but because the bell sleeves are so cool - I would scrunch it up to the top of your shoulder than pin it from the inside to make it look sleeveless.

Can't wait to see how you style it. Also I passed an award to you on my blog ;)

Unknown said...

This *is* a tough one—it's so beautiful though. I love the way you've worn in it in the photos, with a little bit of ruffle showing from underneath. It might be fun to try a statement necklace with it, but being very inexperienced with babies, I don't know if necklaces and curious baby hands mix well.

I would definitely try it as a blouse if it doesn't bunch—those sleeves are amazing. Also it could be fun to see how it looks with other colors, like a fun scarf or a bright pair of pants or skirt.

Sidewalk Chic said...

I like how you styled it here -- it's slouchy and comfy looking, but really put together at the same time.
It is a tough piece, but I think if you found the right belt or pair of skinny jeans to balance out the volume of the top, it would make the difference. Also, you could turn it into a dress by wearing a longer, lace-ruffle slip dress underneath with the ruffle sticking out.
I can't wait to see what you come up with.

- JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

Theressa Lauw said...

Very cute. I love the way you are wearing it now, with the cami peeking out from underneath. I would also style it with a l/s tee or turtleneck, skinny jeans and boots or some heels. I love Sidewalk Chalk's suggestion of a slip dress underneath. That would be awesome and more unexpected.

Elaine said...

Seriously, I LOVE how you're wearing the dress!!! The peek of the cami, the brown boots against the black pants and the headband... It goes reallyw ell!


clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

I would pair it with a nice pair of leggings and boots, or you could do skinny jeans and heels. I love the idea above of pinning the sleeves up to make it sleeveless. I think we're on the same page - slouchy pieces like this one should be paired with more streamlined, fitting bottoms. You could also wear it with a black pencil skirt (I'm thinking knee-length) and belt it - very young professional.

myedit said...

I like how you styled it... keeping the rest a slim silhouette. Besides, anytime one pairs something with brown leather boots, it's golden in my books!

Related Posts with Thumbnails