Friday, January 29, 2010

all about bribery



Anticipatory Set: You can read all about the bribe here but to keep things concise on this end of the interwebs, the Toms I bought and received earlier this week were really all part of a big bribery scheme for my students.  We have this wonky scheduling problem that is "fixed" with an advisement period right after lunch.  It's not technically for a grade and while it should be a study hall or time to enrich mastered content... let's face it, if you had 25 minutes after lunch to "study" or "enhance" your knowledge, what would you spend it doing?  Probably not studying.  So, being the good teacher I am, I used the best tool in my belt... a good ole fashioned bribe.  Or I suppose you could just call it a deal but we didn't technically shake on it so bribe it is.

Long story short, they totally followed through and I was left with no choice but to follow through on me end as well.  So, I went to the Toms site during my lunch break and swiped my virtual card, feeling good about the extra pair for a child and the additional proceeds that would go to Haiti.  Of course, I wanted them to see the fruits of their efforts as soon as possible (strike while the iron's hot, you know) but... we can also face the fact that while Toms are definitely a worthy cause and even a little trendy, they're not the most work appropriate shoes I've ever slipped my feet in.  But it was magical and so worth it.  They were pretty stoked about it.  So, without further adieu... how I styled them...


(behind the scenes: taking off my outer layer - a kinda swingy snap-up cardigan - for the outfit snaps)

Objective(s) Addressed: Work; worthy cause; following through...

Materials and Sources:
  • Shoes: Toms 'Prima' shoe
  • Sweater: LOFT, remix'd
  • Bauble necklace: LOFT, remix'd
  • Cords: Gap, remix'd
  • Snap-up cardigan: Emmalee via Francesca's Collection
Input: As you can see, I didn't really "style" them at all.  I just played off of the colors in the fabric to make them stand out a little - I wanted my students to notice without me saying anything.  And they did!  Energetically!  Notice!  I wore the same bauble necklace with this top that I did in this outfit because the colors worked and I just really love that necklace a lot.  But other than that... a pair of navy (really, really dark navy) cords and fin!

I've gotten this question a few times since I followed through on my bribe, in the real world and the blogosphere: Are they comfortable?  And the answer is definitely a big, fat, crazy YES!  Wearing them is like you never had to step out of your slippers.  So soft and comfy.  And, actually, I think they're pretty dern cute.

Final Notes: Obviously, I can't bribe my students this way all the time but since they were excited about the cause and the fact that I would be spending money on their behalf, I couldn't resist.  Thank you, Toms, for creating a cause that even my crisis-oblivious, self-absorbed 15 year old students would perform 20 straight order of operations equations for. 

Do any of you own Toms?  How would you mix them into your wardrobe? 

 HAPPY WEEKEND!

((Edit:: Also, I need to thank Fashion Therapist and caffeinerd
for a super special Best Blog award... you ladies inspire me and light up my days with your sincere and lovely comments!  Post coming soon...))

9 comments:

Sidewalk Chic said...

Nice on the bribery -- such a worthy cause too.
I've always wanted to try a pair -- how are they comfort-wise?

- JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

Tabitha said...

They look great on you. I owned Tom's for oh a total of 1 week and returned them cause they didn't look right on me...which led me to think. If I return my TOM's did that mean that the child in need had to give back their shoes?

Clearly they didn't, but could you imagine?

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

i LOVE the shoes, and i think you styled them really well!
so cute, and that's terrific that they're for a good cause.

kjlangford said...

an old roommate had a few pairs and I envy them. When you buy them on college campuses you can decorate them yourself!

liz said...

Love the color combo. It's nice that they come in so many options! They look cute :)

Toria said...

I was going to tell you, when you were asking how to style them, that if you wanted to do something a little more interesting, you could try to pair them with something floral and something neutral for a tasteful, pattern mixing thing. Like a floral top (with similar but not necessarily exactly matching colors) with a neutral bottom or floral skirt with neutral colored tights/leggings and top/cardigan to kinda tone it down. I wish I could show you an example but it sounds really good in my head!

Diane @ Haute Flashion said...

I remember my mom accusing me of using bribery to get my toddler to cooperate. I reassured her that it was not bribery, that it was actually negotiating.

Hey, we all use negotiating on a daily basis. If it helps make the world a better place, if it helps alleviate suffering, then negotiate away!

Congrats to your students for doing the right thing for a good cause. And lucky you that it had such a comfy payoff!

Tieka, Selective Potential said...

Aw, I love how you styled those! That first photo is very pretty! Brett and I always talk about getting them, but we haven't yet.. such a great cause!

Anonymous said...

[... ] is one must read source of information on this issue[...]
http://freecallindia.info/

Related Posts with Thumbnails