Wednesday, January 6, 2010

winter berry baubles

Anticipatory Set: After two weeks of lazy days at home, the students had their first day back yesterday.  Which means more parents are at the school than usual, there are still some first impressions to be made (transfers, repeaters, etc.) and I also had my first reevaluation (read: parent) conference of the 2010 school year.  Yes, already!  And it went really well.  No doubt due in part to the fact that I put on one of my new favorite outfits. 


Objective(s) Addressed: First impressions; Parent conference; General need for a little pep in my step.

(Bad hair day.  No apologies here.)

Materials and Sources:
  • Sweater: LOFT
  • Skirt (with pockets!): LOFT on clearance
  • Leggings: probably Target
  • Boots: Target, remix'd
  • Bauble necklace: LOFT
Input: Looks like the LOFT got some business over the holiday break.  All three of their pieces were chosen by moi and gifted by the 'rents.  I'm going to post soon (next time, I think) about how I plan to tackle my overabundance of clothing.  But even though my closet is packed to the max, there are a few things I am usually lacking: full-length sleeves for winter wear and good, solid dress pants and skirts.  Hence the new ensemble.  The boots are the same from Monday: the ever-popular Kady boot from Target.  Best $30 that many people have ever spent.  They're a sure hit.  I'm not crazy about the finish of the "leather" but... $30! (!)  And the wedge very closely mimics those of my Steven by Steve Madden Intyce boots that I adore so much.  Flats are great and heels have their place but sometimes you just can't beat a good low wedge when you need something to lean a little more toward the functional.  In fact, I love the Steven wedge so much that right now I have my BFF (who is a manager in shoes for Nordstrom) helping me on the lookout for a sale on these beauts (in black... maybe grey? purple?! can't decide). 

Final Notes: This little ensemble might be my new go-to picker upper.  First and foremost because the skirt has POCKETS!  (!!!)  Have you ever seen a skirt like that with pockets?  I die.  (Well, hello there, Mrs. Obvious.)  With an extra thick layering tank, leggings and super thick wool socks, it definitely proved to also be warm in the way below freezing (for Georgia, anyhow) temperatures.  But I think I can easily strip it down and rework it a little for wamer tempeartures a few months from now.  Next time, I want to improve it a little with a skinny patent belt low on the waist.  Overall, I felt light but still covered up and the berry bauble necklace kept me feeling cheery all day despite the bone-chilling temps and end-of-break blues.  A winner, I think!

(*This is a scheduled post so if you're reading during the day, think of me and know that I am probably freezing my booty off in a classroom somewhere in Georgia.  Way too cold for my Southern bones, y'all.) 

4 comments:

Viktoria said...

During class today I discovered pockets in my black skirt, I had to hold in the excitement! I want pockets in allll of my skirts.

PS-I wish I had your gray skirt!

kjlangford said...

left a shout out to athenista on my blog! "bauble necklace and pockets- holla!"

Anonymous said...

love this outfit!!!!

Anonymous said...

In love with this outfit! Want the necklace :) Purple and gray are so great together.

Related Posts with Thumbnails